Today’s yak shaving

So I wanted to catch up on Go. I like my IDEs, so I got my Go 1.19.2, my GoClipse 0.16.1, and off to remember how to ride this bicycle again. Or rather ride this yak, because…

I like IDEs mostly for two things: interactive, graphical debugging (for that see the P.S. section) and content assist. And we have a problem:
The solution seems to be to install a fork of gocode. Ok, I got content assist now. On to trying the next sine qua non of IDE, interactive debugger. Wait… There’s no GDB on M1? Yikes.

For debugger, sure, I could use LLDB, as suggested, or, even better, Delve, but I want it in the IDE (how many times do I have to say that, in 2022?) A few GUI frontends exist, but I am partial to Eclipse platform (I can be as picky with my tools as any tradesman).

Is it time to dust off Kabuta, an abandoned attempt to adapt Delve API to GDB/MI interface that GoClipse speaks? Ok why not, let’s go get that sucker… Done.

But how do I get it into GoClipse? A StackOverflow post suggests it is done via “New Project wizard”, but not so fast, Mr. Yak Jockey:
Ok, let’s hack around it but first let’s file an issue on GoClipse… Wait, say it ain’t so… GoClipse is no longer maintained? My world collapses. To Bruno’s point that:

I’ve seen the issues Eclipse has, both external (functionality, UI design, bugs), and internal (code debt, shortage of manpower). I was holding on to the hope it would recover, but now I don’t see much of a future for Eclipse other than a legacy existence, and I realize exiting was long overdue.

I just a few months ago got fed up with how much of a torture it is to step through the code in IDEA (and no waving of dead chickens seems to help) and went back to Eclipse for Java.
Do I fork GoClipse?
P.S. The workaround for the import is to use default ~/go as GOPATH. In other words, using /Users/gregory/src/ worked fine:

Kabuta: GoClipse meets Delve

I am addicted to having good development tools, specifically, I like my debuggers visual. Once I was so annoyed by inability to debug a common use case of calling a PL/SQL stored procedure from Java, I made it into a single-stack cross-language debugger project, for example.

And I’m also a fan of Eclipse (well, see above).

So when Romana went with Go (pun definitely intended) as our language of choice, I quickly found GoClipse, and it was nice.

But then I learned about Delve and I wanted to have the best of both worlds — the functionality of Delve and the graphics of GoClipse.

So here’s an idea… Eclipse (from which GoClipse is, obviously, derived) understands GDB/MI, and can represent it visually. So all that remains is to adapt Delve’s API to GDB/MI.

And so I started it as a Kabuta project. Let’s hope I don’t abandon it…

Poor Man’s Tracepoints and a call sequence of a C program

My C is quite rusty, so to help me figure out the flow of a program, I thought I’d do with gdb what Tony Loton did with JPDA. Quickly giving myself a refresher on gdb, I thought tracepoints are the easiest way to go. Except that they are available only for
remote targets, and

  1. There’s no gdbserver on my host platform (Cygwin)
  2. The target platform does have it (good news!), but it doesn’t support tracepoints (and some say, that few if any stubs even support it

So I wrote a silly Perl script to read ctags information, create breakpoints on every function entry, print the arguments and resume. I haven’t bothered to figure out where to use pure MI vs. CLI commands, and in general I have no clue…

Now, what I think would be interesting is making this an add-on, using CDT (or, more generically, via Eclipse Debug Framework) and GEF… I envision something like a call graph (with exclusions of course, because it will become too big), which grows as you step through, displaying arguments. Could be a quick way to get a picture of how a program works before just reading the code and keeping stuff in your head…

In related news, upgrading to Eclipse 3.2.2 I lost the “Remote debugging” launch configuration. (Ironically, the reason for the attempted upgrade was to see whether a bug with hardcoded remote port has been fixed (it appeared that it’s always 4305, no matter what you put in; while the default one is 1234, which is the kind of thing an idiot would have on his luggage.). Which brings me to the “Zero information content” of various blogs/articles out there (which this blog is trying not to be). Thank you, Bill Graham, for pointing out that “the ‘vanilla’ CDT from […] doesn’t support remote target debugging”, thus leading me in my Google search to your article which doesn’t tell me how to fix it, nor does it tell me much of anything… There, I vented. (The answer, BTW, is to get Target Management, who knew…)